(Malinese sesame-honey sweet)
Meni-meniyong is a wonderful Malinese sesame-honey sweet. It's easy to make and is great for kids and adults alike.
Makes about 40 pieces
- Sesame seeds -- 1 cup
- Honey -- 1 cup
- Butter, unsalted -- 4 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Spread the sesame seeds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Heat the honey and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until it bubbles and darkens somewhat, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the toasted sesame seeds into honey mixture. Spread the mass onto a buttered baking sheet to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Cool until it is just warm and break or cut into finger-sized pieces. Cool completely and serve.
- For a tasty coating that will keep fingers less sticky, roll the candy in more toasted sesame seeds to coat after cutting it into pieces.